DirectTV is a premier television service provider that offers live and demand video entertainment to business and home customers leveraging both satellite and Internet streaming technologies. DirecTV is a part of the AT&T family of TV, Internet and Wireless products and services.
The TV service provider is known for offering six English and four Espanol TV packages to cater to customers’ budget and entertainments preference. Whether you wish to watch premium entertainment like HBO Cinemax, Starz, DogTV, MBC Drama HD, and Showtime or like to watch sports like NFL Sunday Ticket, NBA League Pass, MLB Extra Innings, and NHL Center Ice, you can enjoy Data-Free TV with DirecTV and Internet Bundles. If you have recently subscribed for a DirecTV connection and you are looking to connect your DirecTV to WiFI, this guide offers step-by-step instructions to get your DirecTV connected to WiFi.
Guide to Connect DirecTV to WiFi
Connecting your DirecTV receiver to the internet is basically a way process. This process includes:
- Wireless Connection
- Hardwire Connection
- Broadband DECA
To begin with, you will first need to connect your DirecTV to a wireless connection. Well, before you proceed with the connection process, it is important to know that the wireless connection is built in only one of the following 3 receiver models:
- Genie HR44
- Genie HR54
- Genie H44
It is recommended to make sure that you have one of these models. However, if you do not have these models, you will need a CCK kit or connect it by a different method. Now to begin with the process, considering you have one of the above-mentioned models, you will need to follow these steps:
- Firstly, you will need to reset your network settings. For this, you will need to launch DirecTV on your TV and go to the Internet Setup section under the Settings
- Once you are in the Internet Setup section, you will be shown a message that says that to reconnect to the internet for access to thousands of On Demand titles, DIRECTV CINEMA*, live TV on your mobile device, TV Apps, Pandora, and more, you will need:
- Broadband Internet service (NOTE: Dial-up not supported)
- Wireless network router
- Here, you will need to select the Advanced Setup This will direct you to the Advanced Setup section.
- In the Advanced Setup section, you will need to select the Reset Network As you will press the Reset Network button, you will be prompted with a notification that reads as follows:
IMPORTANT: You are about to start a process that will take several minutes, which will interrupt any recordings and active TV sessions.
- Once you have considered the warning, you will need to press the DASH (-) icon to continue with the network reset process or press the BACK button to cancel it.
- As you will press the DASH (-) button, you will be directed to the next screen where you will see the process stating – Resetting Network Values… Here, you will need to wait for several minutes to complete the process.
- Once the network reset process gets completed, you will need to go to the Menu > Internet Setup
- In the Internet Setup section, you will need to press the Reconnect Internet option located on the lower-right corner of the screen.
- As you will click on the Reconnect Internet button, you will be directed to the next screen where you will be prompted with a question –
Is your internet connection working?
Can your other devices, like your computer or phone, connect to the Internet via the same router as your HD DVR?
- Here, you will need to select the Yes As you will select the Yes button, you will again be prompted with another question and notification that reads –
Did the wireless network settings on your router change?
Your settings may change due to a replaced or reset router, new password, or new internet provider. Select Configure Wireless to update. Don’t have a wireless router? SELECT Next Step.
- In this step, you will need to select the Configure Wireless option from the lower-right corner of the screen. This will direct you to the screen where your device will be searching for wireless networks.
- Once the searching process gets completed, you will get a list of available networks on the next screen.
- From the given list of available networks, you will need to select your wireless network. As you will select your wireless network, you will be prompted to enter the password.
- So, enter the password of your wireless network in the provided field and press the Continue button. The system will try to verify the connection on the next screen.
- Once the verification of the connection will be successful, your DirecTV will be connected to your WiFi network successfully. And, you will be directed to the “Internet Setup Complete” screen where you will need to select the Done button located on the lower-right corner of the screen. The configuration process will be completed and you can now enjoy your favorite shows.
So, this is how you can connect your DirecTV to WiFi. However, if you are looking to set up your DirecTV via hardwire connection, below are the steps that you will need to follow.
Steps to Connect DirecTV to WiFi via Hardwire Connection
If you don’t have a wireless connection and looking set up your DirecTV on a Hardwire connection, you will need to follow these steps:
- Take the internet cable and connect its one end to the receiver and another end to your modem.
- You will need to wait for a couple of minutes before you see a message on your screen that reads – Congratulations you are connected to the internet.
- In case the connection doesn’t get established and you don’t see the message, it is suggested to reset the network settings and go to Menu > Internet setup > Advanced setup > Wired setup
- As you will select the Wired setup, you will be directed to the next screen where the device will try to check the connection status.
- Your DirecTV will get connected to a Hardwired connection.
Steps to Connect DirecTV through Broadband DECA
The DirecTV DECA (DirecTV Ethernet over Coaxial Adaptor) is designed in a way that it allows you to connect your satellite receiver to your home’s internet network. This type of setup is appropriate when you are using multi-room viewing configurations in your DirecTV service installation. The process to connect DirecTV via Broadband DECA is provided below:
- To begin with, you will first need to plug the RG-6 coaxial cable from your DirecTV satellite antenna into the “Antenna” port on the side of the DECA adaptor device.
- Next, you will need to plug the second coaxial cable into the “Line Out” port on the DECA device and plug the other end of the cable into the “Antenna” port of your DirecTV satellite receiver.
- Then, you will need to plug the Ethernet cable into the “Ethernet” port on the side of the DECA unit and plug the other end of the cable into the “LAN” port on the network router of your home.
- Your DirecTV will get connected through the Broadband DECA.
So, these are the different ways you can connect your DirecTV through WiFi, Cable Connection, and Broadband DECA.