Whether it is your Facebook account, an email account, of a WiFi network, it is always suggested to keep changing the password every few months to keep your data and information secure against online threats. If you are using an AT&T WiFi and looking to change the password of your network, you can do so easily by following the instructions provided below.
Guide to Change your AT&T WiFi Password
Your AT&T WiFi comes with a default Wi-Fi network name and password. You will always want to change these default credentials to ensure the privacy of your network. Below are the step-by-step instructions that will help you change your WiFi information.
There are basically two ways you can change the password of your AT&T WiFi network – using the Smart Home Manager panel or using the Gateway User Interface. Information for both methods is provided below.
NOTE: The below-mentioned steps are based on Motorola NVG589 Modem/Gateway. The steps may vary a bit for other modems.
Changing WiFi Password with Smart Home Manager
- To begin with, go to the Smart Home Manager on your device.
- Once you are on the Smart Home Manager, you will need to select the More If you are using a smartphone to perform these steps, you will find the More option in the Main menu (three horizontal lines).
- From the More section, you will need to select the Network
- In the Network section, you will need to select the WiFi password to change it. Here, you will need to select the X icon located at the right of the line to clear the password. Then, in the same field, you will need to enter the new password.
NOTE: You can also change the WiFi Network name in this step only if you want.
- Once you have changed the password of your AT&T WiFi network, you will need to press the Save
- Congratulations! Your AT&T WiFi Password is changed.
Changing AT&T WiFi Password Using Gateway User Interface
- Start by going to the Gateway settings on your device.
- Once you are in the Gateway Settings section, you will need to select the Home Network
- In the Home Network section, you will need to select the Wireless
- Once you are in the Wireless section, if required, you may have to enter the Device Access Code located on the side part of your Gateway in the Password
- Next, you will need to select the Submit
- After that, you can change the desired information:
- WiFi Password: Go to the Security drop-down menu and select the WPA-Custom Then, you will need to enter a customer password in the Key field.
- WiFi Name (Optional): Go to the Network Name (SSID) field and then enter a new Wi-Fi network name in the provided field.
- Once you are done changing the desired information, you will need to press the Save button and you are done.
Tips for Creating Strong Password
When changing or resetting the password of your WiFi network, it is strongly recommended to use a strong password to ensure the security of your network. So, to create a strong password, make sure:
- To use a combination of numbers, alphabets (both small and capital), and special characters.
- To make your password at least 14 character length.
- Not to use the same password for any account such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Email account, etc.
- Avoid using common phrases, birth date, consecutive numbers, etc.
So, these are the steps that you will need to follow to change the password of your AT&T WiFi network.