The unending number of internet service providers available in your area may provide you the great options to choose from. However, the more the numbers of ISPs (Internet Service Providers) available near your location, the more spoilt you would feel for choices. In such a situation, you would want to have some expert advice, so that you can choose the best local home internet service provider near you. In this post, you will be guided that how you can find the best internet service provider that suits you from all aspects such as price, speed, customer support, and reliability.
Know How to Find the Best Local Homes Internet Service Providers Near You
Check Your Speed Requirement
When looking for a home internet service provider near you, the first thing you need to ascertain is your speed requirement (known as bandwidth in the internet language). Generally measured in megabits per second (Mbps), Bandwidth is the maximum rate at which you can download data from the internet to your local device. If you do a lot of data downloading activities, you would want to choose an ISP that is capable of providing you ample bandwidth to meet your speed requirement. Below you can find the recommended speed for various internet-related activities.
|Internet Activities||Speed Required|
|General Web Surfing, Email, and Browsing Social Networking Sites||1 Mbps|
|Online Gaming||1 – 3 Mbps|
|Video conferencing||1 – 4 Mbps|
|Standard-definition video streaming||3 – 4 Mbps|
|High-definition video streaming||5 – 8 Mbps|
|Downloading large files frequently||50 Mbps and above|
NOTE: The speed requirement may vary if:
- There is a connection with low latency.
- You wish to conduct video conferencing with the best video quality.
Check the Options Available in Your Area
Once you have decided the maximum speed you need to meet your internet requirement, the next thing to consider is the ISPs available in your area. There are numerous services available online that can help you know about the options available near you. While you can’t rely completely on the information provided on these sites, however, they can help you narrow down the options up to a certain extent.
Depending on your location, you may find the option of internet service through Cable Provider, Satellite Company, Phone Company, or Fiber Optic service. If you live in a rural area, you may have only one or two (or maybe none) of these options available. Though, you are more likely to find a satellite broadband provider.
- Dial-UP Connection: Dial-up connections work by linking the phone line to a computer to access the internet. Such type of connection (also known as analog), does not allow users to place or receive a phone call via their home phone service when using the internet.
- Broadband: This is a high-speed internet connection provided through cable or telephone companies. As Broadband Internet uses multiple data channels to send large quantities of information, it is among the fastest options available. DSL and cable are considered as the Broadband Internet Connections providing high-speed service. While most of the DSL connections can be considered broadband, not all broadband connections are DSL.
- DSL: Short for Digital Subscriber Line, DSL uses a 2-wire copper telephone line connected to a user’s home which allows the delivery of landline telephone service at the same time. This means customers are allowed to place or receive allows when using the internet.
- Cable:Cable internet connection is a type of broadband access. Users are able to access the Internet over cable TV lines through the use of cable modem. This type of internet connection is capable of providing extremely fast access to the internet.
- Satellite:You will generally find a satellite internet connection where a broadband connection is not available. Like wireless access, satellite connection is known for utilizing a modem.
- Fiber-Optic: Generally known as fiber internet, Fiber-optic internet is a type of broadband connection that is capable of providing a speed of up to 940 Mbps with low lag time. This internet type uses a fiber-optic cable and is capable of sending data as fast as about 70% of the speed of light.
Find an ISP and Package That Matches Your Preference
Now once you have ascertained your requirements, you would want to skim through the available packages and offerings. While the options will mainly vary on your location, you might not find this step helpful. However, you can consider following the information if you find different packages and offerings.
- Bundles: Some ISPs offer internet service as a part of their bundled packages. You may be provided Phone and TV connection along with the internet service at discounted prices. While such packages may appear to be attractive, however, you will need to decide whether you even need a phone and/or TV connection with your internet or not.
- Promotions: Some ISPs try to entice first-time customers by offering internet packages for the first year at a very low price (say $20 per month instead of $40 per month). Well, such offers can be considered worth going for, but make sure that you are allowed with the option to make part payment and cancel your service when the promotional period ends.
- Negotiation: Even if the internet service provider matches your requirement and is providing service as the lowest price compared to other ISPs, there is no harm in negotiating a bit more. Considering the competition among the ISPs in engaging customers, you can milk the opportunity to get a better deal. The negotiation can be made in terms of a lower price, higher speed, or extra channels or lower calling rates (if you are buying a bundle package).
- Customer Service: While most of the users don’t consider this as a tool to find the best local home internet service provider near you, but it is a must-include parameter. If your ISP is not providing you reliable assistance when experiencing issues with your internet connection, there is no benefit of all the effort you would have made in searching for an ISP.
So, these are the suggestions that can help you find the best local home internet service providers near you.